You’ve never lived till you’ve tried a donair! Maybe you stumbled across this page and are curious how to make them, what they are, and why everyone loves them so much. I can tell you what they are and how to make them. Then once you make them you will figure out for yourself why everyone is obsessed with this delicious treat.
What is a Donair?
So, first let’s tell you what a donair is. There can be a few variations of this, but generally it’s a pita filled with shaved beef. You then top it with tomatoes and onions, and drizzle it all over with donair sauce. The sauce is really what makes this “dish” so don’t skip out on it! These yummy pitas were invented in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada in the 1970’s. So they are a popular treat in Atlantic Canada but many people have never even hear of them! What did we do before we had this delicious thing to snack on? I am craving one as we speak.
Now that we know what a donair is, let’s get on how to make these bad boys so you can finally discover why everyone loves them.
What You Need
You will need hamburger, some various spices, tomatoes, onions, pitas, and donair sauce. Most likely if you are new to what donairs are, you may not have a place near you to buy the sauce. But don’t worry, you can make that at home and it’s not even hard! Here is the recipe for homemade donair sauce. Yum! Then you will need a recipe for homemade donair meat, unless you have somewhere near you to buy it. Once you have the meat and the sauce made (or bought), you are ready to start assembling your donair.
How to Make a Donair: Instructions
1. First you slice your donair meat into very thin slices.
2. Next prepare your onions and tomatoes by chopping them into bite sized pieces.
3. Then you take your pita, and slightly wet it. Put it in a pan on medium heat to warm, one minute each side.
4. Lay your pita out and fill it with some meat. How much meat is really a personal choice, some people go all out with 1/2 lb. I perfer 1/4 lb of meat. Of course, you can even do more, it’s all up to you!
5. Add some chopped tomatoes and onions.
6. Drizzle with the sticky sweet donair sauce.
7. Repeat for as many donairs as you need.
8. Now you can finally take a bite!
So what do you think? Delicious right? I thought so! Let me know in the comments if this is your first time trying donairs, I’d love to hear what you think.
- 1 pita
- 1/4 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup red onions chopped
- donair sauce
- 1/4-1/2 lb donair meat
- Slice donair meat into very thin slices.
- Chop tomatoes and onions into bite sized pieces.
- Take your pita, and slightly wet it. Put it in a pan on medium heat to warm, one minute each side.
- Lay your pita out and fill it with some meat.
- Add some chopped tomatoes and onions.
- Drizzle with the sticky sweet donair sauce.