Italian Peasant Soup is a hearty soup filled with beans, meat, spinach and tomatoes. It’s packed with flavor and easily will become a family favorite. It’s also ready in less than 30 minutes making it a perfect quick meal!
It’s also a great soup to make and freeze so you can have it on hand for when you need a easy meal to throw together!
This recipe is so great because it doesn’t take a lot of ingredients. Aside from spices, it is less than 10 ingredients in this soup! Most people have canned beans and tomatoes in their cupboards too. This recipe is so simple, the kids can help too!
Substitutes in Italian Peasant Soup:
There are a few things you can swap out in this recipe if you don’t have something or if there’s something you don’t like!
You can swap:
- White beans or Black beans instead the of kidney beans
- Kale, cabbage or swiss chard instead of spinach
- Ground hamburger instead of sausage (but I highly recommend sausage if possible!)
- You can also use ground sausage if you don’t have sausage links but again I highly recommend the links!
- Fresh tomatoes instead of canned
Can I make Italian Peasant Soup vegetarian?
Yes, simply omit the meat and add more of the beans and vegetables. Easy!
What can I serve this soup with?
It goes nicely with garlic toast or crackers. Even a side salad would be great with it! Or try these Basil and Corn Fritters!
Can I freeze Italian Peasant Soup?
Yes this is a great thing to make ahead and freeze! You can definitely make it in big batches to eat for a meal and then freeze half of it for a later date.
If you love this recipe, share it with your friends or pin it using the pin button so you can easily find it to make it again!
Italian Peasant Soup Recipe
- 1 pound sausage links sliced
- 1 large onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 2 15 oz cans of kidney beans
- 2 14.5 oz cans chicken broth
- 2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 5 cups fresh spinach leaves chopped
- Shredded Parmesan cheese optional
- salt and pepper
- In a pan on medium heat, cook sausage and onions. Add garlic and cook for 30 more seconds. Drain and set aside. In the same pan, cook chicken until no longer pink.
- In a large pot on medium heat, add sausage and onions and chicken.
- Stir in the beans, broth, tomatoes, basil and oregano. Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 10 more minutes. Add the spinach and heat just until wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper and garnish with cheese if desired.