Strawberry Banana Cream Pie is one of my favourite kinds of pies! I absolutely love cream pies: butterscotch, peanut butter. And I love strawberry flavoured desserts as well as banana. So this combines two of my favourite dessert flavours into a mouth-watering explosion!
PI Day 2020 is coming up on March 14th! If you’re looking for a fun cream pie to make, then this is the recipe for you!
How long does pie crust last?
This dough keeps well in the fridge for about a week. Make sure you wrap it well and seal it so no air can get inside. Or you can wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and freeze it in a freezer safe gallon bag for 2-3 months. Make sure you leave time for it to thaw before using though, takes at least a few hours!
Tips for Making Strawberry Banana Cream Pie: Pie Dough
Be careful when rolling out your pie dough. A few tips to keep in mind:
- Roll the edges as little as possible.
- Work quickly and smoothly and push the rolling pin from the center and out.
- Don’t use to much flour or it will become dry.
- Always make sure your rolling pin is clean, any dough bits that stick to it make sure to clean off.
- Make sure your crust isn’t too thin but not too thick.
- If you are using a 9 inch pie pan, make sure you roll your dough till it is 12 inches in diameter.
- If your dough cracks when it’s in the pie dish, use a little bit of water on your finger to “seal” it.
- Your crust should be 1/8 inch thick but make sure it is even from the center all the way to the edge. Uneven dough won’t bake right!
How do you bake a pie shell blind?
See How to Blind Bake a Pie Crust by Sally’s Baking Addiction! She has so many helpful tips!
Looking for something else to make with the pastry recipe? Try Sweet Raspberry Rhubarb Tarts!
Strawberry Banana Cream Pie
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 9 tablespoons cold water approximately
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 egg yolks beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup strawberries
- Combine the flour and salt in a bowl.
- Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Be sure to mix in all the flour.
- Mix last 3 ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Sprinkle the liquid over the flour a little at a time, and using a fork, toss until a dough forms.
- Gather the remaining bits of dough and gently press them into the dough.
- Work quickly and gently so you handle the dough for as little time as possible.
- Chill 1 hour before using.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bake blind for 15 minutes. Then bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Cool completely before adding filling.
- Heat 1 1/4 cup of milk till it reaches boiling point.
- Combine sugar, salt, cornstarch, and flour. Stir in rest of milk to make a smooth paste.
- Stir this paste into the hot milk stirring constantly. Cook until thick.
- Remove from heat.
- Beat the egg yolks in a small mixing bowl an then mix two teaspoons of the hot mixture into the egg yolks, stirring continuously.
- Ladle a small amount of the hot mixture into the egg yolks and stir rapidly. Repeat process until you have about 2 cups of the mixture.
- Return the egg mixture slowly to the last of the milk mixture. Put it back on the stove to cook for about two minutes.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla and butter.
- Slice banana and strawberries into pie shell. Add filling on top and add extra fruit for garnish if desired.