I am here to show you how to make a pumpkin pie from scratch, complete with cooking the pumpkin to making the crust to making the filling. Eating it is then your responsibility. Don’t take it lightly!
So first off, you need a pumpkin. The weight depends on how many pies you are making. Plan for 3 lbs for each pie. If there is pureed pumpkin left over, it freezes easily and you can save it for your next pumpkin dessert.
What is a baking pumpkin vs a carving pumpkin?
Carving pumpkins are generally bigger, where as baking or pie pumpkins are smaller and much easier to bake with! They are sweeter and have a nicer flesh.
How do I cut my pumpkin for roasting?
Use a heavy sharp knife, and make a cut on one side of the pumpkin starting at the base of the stem. (Don’t cut the stem, it’s way too tough!) Cut all the way down to the flower so you’ve cut one half. Then do the same with the other side.
How to Make a Pumpkin Pie From Scratch: Roasting the Pumpkin
Next step is roasting your pumpkin.
Do I take the seeds out or leave them in while roasting the pumpkin?
You can either take out the seeds beforehand or wait till after it’s cooked. I find it’s easier to wait till after the pumpkin is cooked to scoop out the seeds because they aren’t as stringy. But if you are going to roast the seeds, then scoop them out before hand.
What temperature do I preheat the oven to?
Preheat the oven to 400 ° F. Lay the pumpkin face down on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Pierce the skin with a fork in several spots to let the steam out. Next you need to bake the pumpkin for about 40-45 minutes. Then let the pumpkin rest for about 10 minutes and peel the skin off.
How to Make a Pumpkin Pie From Scratch: Making the Pumpkin Puree
To make the puree you will need a blender or food processor. Just simply place the cooked pumpkin in and blend away! Voila, you have homemade pumpkin puree.
How long does homemade pumpkin puree last in the fridge?
You can easily make pumpkin puree ahead of time that way this step is already done when you want to quickly make the pie filling! It will last in the fridge for about a week! Or 1-2 months in the freezer.
How many cups is 1 lb of pumpkin?
1 lb of pumpkin is about 2 cups cooked and drained.
How to Make a Pumpkin Pie from Scratch: The Filling and the Crust
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- 4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 9 tablespoons cold water approximately
Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 12 oz can of evaporated milk
- 2 cups homemade pumpkin puree
- Combine the flour and salt in a bowl.
- Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Be sure to mix in all the flour.
- Mix last 3 ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Sprinkle the liquid over the flour a little at a time, and using a fork, toss until a dough forms.
- Gather the remaining bits of dough and gently press them into the dough.
- Work quickly and gently so you handle the dough for as little time as possible.
- Chill 1 hour before using.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Beat eggs, sugars and spices together until well mixed. Add pumpkin and slowly add milk.
- Pour into your pie shell and bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 50-55 minutes more.
- When the pie is done, the center will be just barely jiggly and a knife tip inserted in the center will come out "clean". Cool the pie for about 2 hours on wire rack.
Here is the link to my Homemade Pumpkin Pie Filling! If you have any questions about the filling, I answer them there!
Can I make the pie crust ahead of time?
Yes, this dough keeps well in the fridge for about a week. Make sure you wrap it well and seal it so no air can get inside. Or you can wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and freeze it in a freezer safe gallon bag for up to 2 months. Make sure you leave time for it to thaw before using though, at least a few hours.
How to Make a Pumpkin Pie from Scratch: Baking the Pie
Be careful when rolling out your pie dough. A few tips to keep in mind:
- Roll the edges as little as possible.
- Work quickly and smoothly and push the rolling pin from the center and out.
- Don’t use to much flour or it will become dry.
- Always make sure your rolling pin is clean, any dough bits that stick to it make sure to clean off.
- Make sure your crust isn’t too thin but not too thick.
- If you are using a 9inch pie pan, make sure you roll your dough till it is 12 inches in diameter.
- If your dough cracks when it’s in the pie dish, use a little bit of water on your finger to “seal” it.
- Your crust should be 1/8 inch thick but make sure it is even from the center all the way to the edge. Uneven dough won’t bake right!
Last step is baking the pie. Once you have the pie crust in your pie tin or glass pie dish and have poured the filling inside, it’s time to BAKE THAT PIE! First make sure your oven is preheated to 425° F. Bake for 15 minutes and then lower the temperature to 350 F° and bake 45-50 minutes more or until a knife tip inserted in the center comes out “clean”.
And once your pie has cooled you can serve it with whipped cream or ice cream or however you wish to eat this delicious treat. And you can serve it with satisfaction knowing you did every little detail to make it.
First posted in November 2019, updated October 2020.