Homemade pumpkin pie filling. Don’t those words instantly bring the sweet smell of pumpkin pie to your nostrils? Pumpkin pie is a delicious staple for most families for Thanksgiving. And with or without whipped cream, it is an easy crowd pleaser. So whether you are having a huge party, a small family get together or just trying to impress the inlaws, this recipe is for you!
With Thanksgiving so close, maybe you are searching google for a homemade pumpkin pie filling recipe. Sure you can go out and buy a can, but you want to make it just a bit more special. Well with this easy recipe, you can! All you need is your favourite pastry recipe or pie shells from the store. (no judgement here!) Next you need eggs and sugar, spices, evaporated milk and of course pumpkin!
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Filling
I found my pie filling is a little runny, what do I do?
If you find your filling is looking runny, don’t add all the liquid it calls for. If you are using homemade puree sometimes the consistency is a little different each time. Now that being said, pumpkin pie filling is naturally runny. I always add another egg when I am worried about the thickness.
Can I freeze this Homemade Pumpkin Pie Filling?
Yes, this filling is great to make ahead of time and freeze it! Just place it in freezer safe containers or gallon bags and freeze safely for 1-2 months. Then take it out of the freezer a few hours before you’re going to use it or submerge in warm water to thaw. If you don’t freeze it, it will last a few days in the fridge.
I don’t have evaporated milk, what are some substitutes?
If you don’t have any evaporated milk, you can use half and half and regular milk, equal amounts of each. Or, you can even use heavy cream instead.
I don’t have time to make pumpkin puree, can I use canned pumpkin?
Absolutely, there is no shame in that! I mean life is busy and crazy and sometimes we have to skip out on some things. This recipe will be just as delicious with a can of pureed pumpkin. Just use a 15 oz can.
Did you like this recipe? Then why not try my Sweet Raspberry Rhubarb Tarts or Chocolate Shortbread Cookies ?
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsps cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 2 cups homemade pumpkin puree
- 12 oz can of evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Beat eggs, sugars and spices together until well mixed.
- Add pumpkin and slowly add cream. It will be runny, but you don't want it too runny!
- Pour into your pie shell and bake for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 50-55 minutes more.
- When the pie is done, the center will be just barely jiggly and a knife tip inserted in the center will come out "clean".
- Cool the pie for about 2 hours on wire rack.