Chicken soup is such a comfort food! So warm and delicious on a cold day. And even better, for feeding that sick friend or family member. That is why I am going to share my homemade chicken soup recipe with you. A bowl of this soup served with a warm biscuit and you’ll think you’re in heaven!
I love adding lemon to my soup, it really brings out the flavor and is such a good touch. A family friend showed me the trick one day of squeezing fresh lemon juice onto my bowl of chicken soup. It tasted so good! So I decided why not just add it right into the pot of soup and give it time to cook and simmer with the chicken? Umm, best decision ever!
Can I take the noodles out if I don’t like them?
Yes you can make this recipe without noodles. I recommend only using noodles if you are serving right away. Also, if you are reheating this soup, sometimes the noodles get really soft so be aware of that. But I love adding egg noodles to my soup!
I don’t like coriander do I have to put it in Homemade Chicken Soup Recipe?
No, you can take out the coriander. It is just for flavor so if you don’t like the taste it won’t hurt to omit it.
Can I make Homemade Chicken Soup Recipe ahead of time and freeze it?
Yes this is a great recipe to make and freeze! Of course I wouldn’t add the noodles until the day you make the soup. But everything else would freeze well. You could make a big batch and freeze some of it for that cold day you don’t feel like cooking or when you’ve got the sniffles and need something warm to combat that cold.
Want more chicken recipes?
Try this delicious Creamy Cheesy Chicken or some
Chicken Teriyaki !
Homemade Chicken Soup
- 3 chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- lemon juice to taste
- coriander to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- egg noodles
- Cube chicken breasts. Dice onion and minced garlic cloves. Chop carrots and celery.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons olive oil on medium heat in a heavy based pot. Place cubed chicken in pot. Cook until no longer pink. Add onions and garlic and cook for a few minutes.
- Add in bay leaves, water, chicken broth, carrots and celery.
- Add lemon juice, coriander, salt and pepper to taste.
- Slowly cook until carrots are cooked and everything has time to blend together.
- 8 minutes before serving add in egg noodles. Once the noodles are done, soup is ready to serve.