This recipe for Easy Lemon Poppy Seed Scones Recipe makes me think of high tea and fancy afternoons with the queen. This delicious treat will transport you to England dining with the queen on a Wednesday afternoon for tea. They are so simple to make (less than 30 minutes including bake time!) and yet make you feel so fancy. I think that makes it a great recipe!
Easy Lemon Poppy Seed Scones Recipe is something I made a few times over this spring. I was in Kansas with my friends and I stumbled across the recipe so I tried it. It was a hit so I made it two more times!
What if my Easy Lemon Poppy Seed Scones dough is too sticky?
If the dough is too sticky, add a touch more flour. Not too much or it will become dry. The key is to use your hands so you can feel the dough and adjust as needed.
What if the dough is too dry?
If your Easy Lemon Poppy Seed Scones dough is too dry, add a touch more heavy cream or water. Be careful not to add too much or it will become too sticky!
How long do I bake Easy Lemon Poppy Seed Scones for?
Bake for about 12 minutes, and then more as needed. Don’t overcook!
How do I serve Easy Lemon Poppy Seed Scones?
These taste amazing all by themselves! Warm and fresh out of the oven? Can’t beat it! However, you can also spread them with butter which is divine. Or drizzle them with an icing or a lemon glaze.
When to serve Easy Lemon Poppy Seed Scones?
That is an easy answer. Anytime! Breakfast, snack, tea time, dessert or even lunch with some fruit. Endless options with these babies folks!
Do I have to soak poppy seeds before I use them?
You may or may not have heard about soaking poppy seeds before baking with them. I honestly I have never done it but they say it adds more flavor. So, conclusion is you can soak the seeds in hot water or milk for a few hours before using if you want more taste but feel free to skip that step!
Why are my scones hard?
So maybe you make this recipe and your scones are tough and hard and not light and soft like they should be. Check out the tips below for some help. Your dough should be somewhat crumbly after you add the liquid.
Tips for making Easy Lemon Poppy Seed Scones Recipe:
Use Cold butter:
Using cold butter allows the butter to melt as the scones are baking. As it melts in the oven it creates your flaky light texture of scones we love so much!
Don’t over mix
Over mixing could make your scones tough or not as light and flaky as they should be.
Let cool slightly before serving
The scones will be super delicate as soon as you remove them from the oven so they will need to sit and cool slightly before you eat them. Don’t worry, they will still be warm when you eat them, just less crumbly!
Try Easy No Bake Cheesecake Jars or Cornmeal Citrus Pound Cake for other delicious recipes!
Any questions or requests, feel free to reach out.
Easy Lemon Poppy Seed Scones Recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large lemons
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 c. heavy cream
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar, poppy seeds, lemon zest, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles cornmeal.
- Pour in heavy cream, then add 1/4 cup lemon juice. Don't over stir, just mix until dough is formed.
- Gather dough together with your hands and gently press into a ball. Transfer dough to a parchment-lined baking sheet and shape into an 8-inch disk. Cut into 8 wedges and separate so scones are about 1 inch apart.
- Bake about 13-15 minutes. Scones will be golden and a toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean. Cool on a wire rack for about twenty minutes before serving.